MIFGASHIM

Solly Kaplinski <[log in to unmask]>

MIFGASHIM LIST <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 30 Mar 2003 22:40:24 +0300

MIFGASHIM

March 30 2003
26 Adar Bet, Volume 2:30
Moderator: Solly Kaplinski
The Lookstein Center for Jewish Education
Bar Ilan University

CONTENTS

1. Resource of the Week.
Esther Feldman: Director, Information and Technology Services
The Lookstein Center

2. Focus on Current Events, Parashat Hashavuah and new Lesson Plan for
Pesach
Chana German, Co-ordinator, Virtual Resource Center
The Lookstein Center

3.  How should Jewish educators deal with Emma Goldman?
A response to Jennifer Sartori, Women of Valor Program Director at the
Jewish Women's Archive, Brookline, MA
(See MIFGASHIM March 2, 9, 23)
David I. Bernstein, Ph.D.  Dean, Pardes Institute of Jewish Studies

4. Can Orthodoxy do better?
A response to Rabbi Jeremiah Unterman
Director: Association of Modern Orthodox Day Schools and Yeshiva High
Schools, Yeshiva University
(See MIFGASHIM February 2, 9, 16)
Yehuda Jayson: Tochnit Shalem,
Young Judaea, Israel

 5. Director of Jewish Life
Position available
Emanuel School
Sydney, Australia

CONTENTS

1. Resource of the Week
Esther Feldman: Director, Information and Technology Services
The Lookstein Center

This week's resource

CyberNewseum: An online version of the Interactive Museum of News
includes "Today’s Front pages" - an interactive map of newspapers from
around the world, updated daily.

To see this week's resource go to

http://www.lookstein.org/resource_week/march2003.htm

or to

http://www.lookstein.org/resource_week.htm and click on March 2003

2. Focus on Current Events, Parashat Hashavuah and new Lesson Plan for
Pesach
Chana German, Co-ordinator, Virtual Resource Center
The Lookstein Center

Each week the Lookstein Center offers educators discussion points to focus
on in the classroom for both the weekly Torah portion and current events in
Israel. These resources can be accessed at

http://www.lookstein.org/edu_focus_on.htm

This week: Focus on Current Events considers the ethics involved in
striking.

-----------------------------

Focus on Parashat HaShavuah (Tazria). The Rabbis associate Biblical leprosy
("tzara'at") to sins of speech. Is it always improper to speak negatively
about someone else?

"And the priest shall look on the plague in the skin of the flesh, and when
the hair in the plague is turned white and the plague be deeper in
appearance than the skin of the flesh, it is a plague of tzara'at."

Vayyikra 12: 3

-----------------------------

New lesson plan for Pesach: "Haggadah Shel Pesach: The Fifth Son"

Students explore their Jewish identity and their relationship to the Land
of Israel through the study of the Haggadah.

To view the lesson plan, go to

www.lookstein.org/lessonplans/pesach.htm

or

www.lookstein.org/lessonplans/pesach.pdf

3. How should Jewish educators deal with Emma Goldman?
A response to Jennifer Sartori, Women of Valor Program Director at the
Jewish Women's Archive, Brookline, MA
(See MIFGASHIM March 2, 9 and 23)
David I. Bernstein, Ph.D.  Dean, Pardes Institute of Jewish Studies

I would like to thank Jennifer Sartori for her comments.

I agree with her that Emma Goldman would be (along with many other
historical figures) worthy of study, especially to hone students' critical
thinking skills, e.g. as part of an American history course. Personally, I
find Leon Trotsky (aka Lev Bronstein, who shared some of the same values as
Emma Goldman), a fascinating historical figure, and so have my students in
the past.

The question, though, was whether she should be included in a curriculum on
Jewish heroes! If a Jewish school includes in its educational objectives
anti-religious, anti-Zionist, and anarchist values, then she would indeed
be a worthy hero(ine) - for such a school.

Remember how few Jewish studies hours we have at our disposal - and how many
Biblical, medieval, modern, and contemporary Jewish heroes (and heroines) we
have, who can inspire our students to the values that different Jewish
schools want to educate towards.

4. Can Orthodoxy do better?
A response to Rabbi Jeremiah Unterman
Director, Association of Modern Orthodox Day Schools and Yeshiva High
Schools, Yeshiva University
(See MIFGASHIM February 2, 9, 16)
Yehuda Jayson: Tochnit Shalem,
Young Judaea, Israel

I would like to relate to the questions raised by Rabbi Unterman and the
moderator on two levels, ideological and practical. Some time ago Rabbi
Yehuda Sussman mentioned in the context of the discussion around Modern
Orthodoxy, that one of its principles is “A willingness to engage and
relate to Jews of all backgrounds without necessarily expecting a "return"
in Kiruv”. It seems that many times, motivated maybe by our desire to
strengthen our students` Orthodox identity or a firm belief in our own
Hashkafa, we perceive and relate to Jews from other backgrounds only
through this prism. Our students pick up on this and step away from
interaction with a large part of the Jewish community, unless it can be
justified as “kiruv”, or in the words of a madrich I worked with many years
ago: “how many kids I made Shomer Shabbos”.

I would suggest that there is value to “simple” (not payoff) interaction at
two levels. There is intrinsic educational and Jewish value in being able
to interact with all of the Jewish people and to work together on mutually
related issues, even if there are vast ideological, hashkafic and practical
differences between us in other realms. I would also suggest that to feel
that Orthodox people have nothing to learn or gain from such an interaction
is both arrogant and wrong. I believe that besides the value of the
interaction itself, many values, perceptions and clarifications can be
absorbed into one’s own Hashkafa davka through interacting with people from
differing beliefs and backgrounds.

On a practical level, I would like to briefly mention Tochnit Shalem. Set
up by Young Judaea five years ago, Tochnit Shalem is an Orthodox yeshiva
program in Israel for high school graduates who wish to combine yeshiva
learning with volunteer components around Israel. The goal is to enable
Orthodox students the opportunity to grow and mature in a Torani
atmosphere, whilst developing a “hands on” connection to Israel and
Religious Zionism.

Another innovative aspect of the program is that we run side by side with,
and a part of Young Judaea`s successful Year Course program, made up of
Jews from a variety of backgrounds.  Whilst our Tefillot and Limudei Kodesh
classes are separate, we have the opportunity to interact on “common
ground”, including classes in Ivrit and Zionism and tiyulim around Israel.

The opportunity to exchange ideas, learn about Israel and Zionism together
and work together on different volunteer or Zionist projects achieves
several goals. The first is ideological- Klal Yisrael can also be a unified
unit, we have more in common than what separates each specific group. The
natural situation should be that we can live side by side and interact,
whilst each individual or group runs their life according to their beliefs
and in the way they see fit. Additionally, it is a fact that the majority
of Orthodox high school graduates go to universities that are neither
exclusively Jewish nor Orthodox. On campus, along with many other new
challenges, students may have to deal with these interactions for the first
time, interactions framed, or shadowed by the perceptions they picked up in
their schools or communities. In such situations, they “are on their own”.

On Tochnit Shalem, students have the opportunity to exchange ideas within
the framework of an Orthodox program and with the support our Bet Midrash
faculty. These interactions are not “one way”. The different students
within Year Course and Shalem have the opportunity to break down
stereotypes of each other, exchange ideas and find common ground whilst
grappling with complex issues that may have no practical solution as of now.

Obviously, such interaction raises many educational and Halachic questions
but I would suggest that these challenges are not only a small price to pay
but rather a price we must pay in order to come closer to a goal of a more
unified and mutually respectful Jewish people.

6. Director of Jewish Life
Position available
Emanuel School
Sydney Australia

I have recently resigned as Director of Jewish Life at Emanuel School,
Sydney, Australia.

To assist the school, I am collecting names of Jewish Educators interested
in this position. I will forward all candidates to the School Principal.

Emanuel is a community day school (K -  12)  with 600 students from a broad
background of affiliations and practices. Most are culturally Jewish or
traditional, affiliating with Reform, Orthodox and Conservative synagogues.

Responsibilities include:

Develop an ethos of mutual respect

Oversee and develop the Jewish Life of the school

Further develop Jewish Studies and Hebrew Curriculum K-12

Liase with the School Board and School Executive

Co-ordinate Chaggim, Tefillah, Informal, family Jewish education and other
cultural religious activities

Manage and work with other staff

Liase with community groups

Experience with Tal Am and Tal Sela is advantageous.

For more information, please contact me at:

Bryan Conyer
Director of Jewish Life
Emanuel School
Sydney, Australia
www.emanuelschool.nsw.edu.au

The Rabbi Joseph H. Lookstein Center for Jewish Education in the Diaspora

You can search the archives at
http://listserv.biu.ac.il/archives/mifgashim.html

The website is supported, in part, by a generous grant from the
AviChai Foundation.