MIFGASHIM

Solly Kaplinski <[log in to unmask]>

MIFGASHIM LIST <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 9 Mar 2003 13:04:31 +0200

MIFGASHIM

March 9 2003
5 Adar Bet, Volume 2:27
Moderator: Solly Kaplinski
The Lookstein Center for Jewish Education
Bar Ilan University

CONTENTS

1. Resource of the Week.
Esther Feldman: Director, Information and Technology Services
The Lookstein Center

2. Focus on Current Events, Parashat Hashavuah, Purim Lesson Plans and new
article on line
Chana German, Co-ordinator, Virtual Resource Center
The Lookstein Center

3. How should Jewish educators deal with Emma Goldman? Do her ceaseless
attempts to better the world make her a useful illustration of tikkun olam
and worthy of inclusion in a unit on Jewish heroes?
A response to Jennifer Sartori (See MIFGASHIM March 2 03)
David I. Bernstein, Ph.D.  Dean, Pardes Institute of Jewish Studies

4. The Role of Heroes in Jewish Education
A response to Shlomo Kaye
(See MIFGASHIM February 3 and 24 and March 2, 2003)
Rob Toren: Seattle, WA

5.  Judaic Web Institute for Teachers

CONTENTS

1. Resource of the Week
Esther Feldman: Director, Information and Technology Services
The Lookstein Center

This week's resource: Fact Monster - a helpful and attractive
resource-filled site for students. Includes educational games and quizzes
and homework help.

To see this week's resource go to

http://www.lookstein.org/resource_week/march2003.htm

or to

http://www.lookstein.org/resource_week.htm and click on March 2003

2. Focus on Current Events, Parashat Hashavuah, Purim and new article on
line
Chana German, Co-ordinator, Virtual Resource Center
The Lookstein Center

Each week the Lookstein Center offers educators discussion points to focus
on in the classroom for both the weekly Torah portion and current events in
Israel. These resources can be accessed at

http://www.lookstein.org/edu_focus_on.htm

2.1 Focus on Current Events

This week’s Focus on Current Events explores the relationship between the
media, freedom of expression, and censorship.

-----------------------------

2.2 Focus on Parashat HaShavuah

Focus on Parashat HaShavuah (Vayyikra) explores the role of man in his
society. Does man have an obligation to help in every situation that needs
it, or is it just something nice to do when a comfortable opportunity
arises?

"And if a person sin, and hear the voice of adjuration, and is a witness,
whether he has seen it or known of it; if he does not utter it, he shall
bear his iniquity."
Vayyikra 5: 1

-----------------------------

2.3 Purim lesson plans

2.3.1  A (Purim) Feast for the Mind - Students read Megillat Esther and
research Ancient Persia in order to plan and hold a dinner party for the
heroes and villains of the Purim story. This WebQuest provides students
with a fun opportunity to use their creative talents in conjunction with
the development of research and analysis skills. For grades 5-12.

Webquest  http://www.lookstein.org/webquests/purim.htm

Teacher's Guide  http://www.lookstein.org/webquests/tg_purim.htm

2.3.2  Megillat Esther - Repairing Shaul's Mistake - In this lesson,
students trace the ancestry of both Mordechai and Haman and discover that
their battle mirrors the battle fought by their ancestors. Students learn
how to use a concordance. For high school students.

http://www.lookstein.org/lessonplans/megilla.htm

http://www.lookstein.org/lessonplans/megilla.pdf

-----------------------------

2.4 New article online

A Review of Nechama Leibowitz's Eyunim - Studies on Torah by Yaakov Kagan
is now online at

www.lookstein.org/articles/nechama.htm

3 How should Jewish educators deal with Emma Goldman? Do her ceaseless
attempts to better the world make her a useful illustration of tikkun olam
and worthy of inclusion in a unit on Jewish heroes?
A response to Jennifer Sartori (See MIFGASHIM March 2 03)
David I. Bernstein, Ph.D.  Dean, Pardes Institute of Jewish Studies

Jewish schools all suffer from the problem of time. There is simply not
enough time to teach all that we want; in fact, there is not enough time to
teach the bare minimum that we need to teach. It is against this background
that I question why, in most Jewish schools, one would choose to focus on
Emma Goldman.

If she is to be portrayed as a Jewish hero(ine), I think that there are many
educators, and parents, in most schools, who would disagree. Just because
someone has the courage of their convictions does not make them a hero.
There are even evil people in the world who have courage, but are evil, or
at best, misguided.

While the Tanach teaches us that Jewish heroes are flawed, it does not mean
that we should "davka" choose those whose flaws are so readily apparent, and
perhaps even overwhelming (e.g. her anti-Judaism, anti-Zionism and her
anarchism).

I realize that the archive that houses her papers has an interest in
promoting study of this person. In truth, these papers are of great
historical value, and need to be preserved and studied. I am sure that
academics can make very good use of them. But are Jewish schools the best
place to use these resources?

Would it not be better to use the little time we have with our students to
study a great story in Tanach/ Midrash/ Talmud (there are plenty that most
of our students need to learn), a great character in Tanach, or a modern
Jewish hero whose values are in more in line with what most Jewish schools
want to teach?

4. The Role of Heroes in Jewish Education
A response to Shlomo Kaye
(See MIFGASHIM February 3 and 24 and March 2, 2003)
Rob Toren: Seattle, WA

While not in any way to denigrate the simple acts of everyday heroism that
Shlomo Kaye addresses, I would like to suggest an article in the most recent
edition of Azure focusing on Levi Eshkol, the Prime Minister of Israel
during the Six-Day War.

The author points to leadership virtues of patience,forbearance,
determination, coalition and consensus building, how Eshkol took the
necessary time to ensure the Israeli military was prepared, that the U.S.
was prepared for Israeli to launch a pre-emptive strike, that a fractured
cabinet would eventually vote unanimously about the action needed
to be taken.  Eshkol's name is nearly forgotten when citing most lists of
Israeli heroes during the heady days of June '67.

In the same issue, another author examines the political leadership of
Moshe and frames those qualities in political terms, as models of a modern
democratic, Israeli state.

The issue does not present an openly educational agenda but as an
educator, I could not help but think in those terms.

5.  Judaic Web Institute for Teachers

A new program in partnership with Web Institute for Teachers at the
University of Chicago.

This June, the Web Institute for Teachers at the University of Chicago is
partnering with the Lookstein Center, the ATT of Chicago and JESNA and will
be offering J-WIT: an exciting two-week seminar to train Jewish studies
teachers in integrating technology and the Internet into the curriculum.
The course is designed SPECIFICALLY for the needs of Judaic studies'
educators!

For more details about the program, visit our website at

The Lookstein Center Programs Page

To find out if you are eligible for this program, see

J-WIT Prerequisites

Tuition is covered by partnering organizations. All participants must be
sponsored by a partner.

Please note: space is limited, so please apply early!

To receive sponsorship please contact Esther Feldman, Director of
Information and Technology Services at

Learn more about our three partners:

The Web Institute for Teachers at the University of Chicago
Associated Talmud Torahs, Chicago
Jewish Educational Services of North America

To apply for J-WIT online, go to ;

Applying to the Judaic Web Institute for Teachers 2003 and follow the
instructions.

All applications should be submitted no later than April 1, 2003.

Don't pass up this exciting opportunity!

The Rabbi Joseph H. Lookstein Center for Jewish Education in the Diaspora

You can search the archives at
http://listserv.biu.ac.il/archives/mifgashim.html

The website is supported, in part, by a generous grant from the
AviChai Foundation.