MIFGASHIM

Solly Kaplinski <[log in to unmask]>

MIFGASHIM LIST <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:48:39 +0200

MIFGASHIM

March 17 2003
13 Adar Bet, Volume 2:28
Moderator: Solly Kaplinski
The Lookstein Center for Jewish Education
Bar Ilan University

CONTENTS

1. Resource of the Week.
Esther Feldman: Director, Information and Technology Services
The Lookstein Center

2. Focus on Current Events and Parashat Hashavuah
Chana German, Co-ordinator, Virtual Resource Center
The Lookstein Center

3. The Role of Heroes in Jewish Education
(See MIFGASHIM February 3, 24; March 2, 9 2003)
Tali Tarlow, Jewish Studies Teacher, Curriculum Developer, Hasmonean
School, London

4. Research into teachers’ motivation for enhancing their skills and
qualifications. Help required.
Raya Gekhtman

CONTENTS

1. Resource of the Week
Esther Feldman: Director, Information and Technology Services
The Lookstein Center

This week's resource

"Do To Learn" - A web site providing activities to promote independence in
children and adults with special learning needs.

To see this week's resource go to

http://www.lookstein.org/resource_week/march2003.htm

or to

http://www.lookstein.org/resource_week.htm and click on March 2003

2. Focus on Current Events and Parashat Hashavuah
Chana German, Co-ordinator, Virtual Resource Center
The Lookstein Center

Each week the Lookstein Center offers educators discussion points to focus
on in the classroom for both the weekly Torah portion and current events in
Israel. These resources can be accessed at

http://www.lookstein.org/edu_focus_on.htm

This week Focus On Current Events explores the economic crisis in Israel
and the ethical issues that have come to light recently in the wake of
possible reforms.

Focus on Parashat HaShavuah (Tzav) seeks the proper balance when appointing
relatives to important roles, something Moshe surely realized when
installing his brother, Aharon as the High Priest ("Kohen Gadol").

"And he poured the anointing oil upon Aharon's head and anointed him, to
sanctify him."
Vayyikra 8: 12

3. The Role of Heroes in Jewish Education
(See MIFGASHIM February 3, 24; March 2, 9 2003)
Tali Tarlow, Jewish Studies Teacher, Curriculum Developer, Hasmonean
School, London

In the past few weeks, the issue of teaching about heroes has come up in
MIFGASHIM.  It is clearly very important to teach our children and students
about Jewish heroes as it gives the child a sense of pride in our history
and people and provides the him/her with a role model to emulate.  For this
reason one should not only teach about the hero per se but also how one
manages to interpret the hero's deeds to real actions in our lives.

I also feel that it is very important when teaching about Jewish heroes to
focus on the issue of tolerance. Different people have different heroes and
searching for the act of heroism in the eyes of the "other" is a valuable
tool in opening our minds towards our fellow Jews across the spectrum of
Judaism.

Some examples:

Ilan Ramon – whose heroism lies in the sense of pride in his heritage that
he brought to Jews world-wide, although part of the Jewish population
responded controversially in his consent to land on Shabbat. This statement
should not in anyway be seen as a condemnation or judgement of his act but
rather to indicate that not in all circles will he be considered and taught
as a hero, since his acts of commitment were symbolic but not always at one
with strict Jewish law.

Esther – her act of heroism was to deny her Jewish identity and to work
from within the ruling circle to persuade the king to allow the Jews to
defend themselves against marauding "pogrom"ers. Not only did she have to
marry out to do this, but after all was over and the Jews were saved, she
stayed in the king's palace as one of his wives.

Pinchas – the Zealot, who (see Bamidbar) is so incensed by a Jewish man
having relations with a non -Jewish woman, that he kills them both.  His
heroism lies in his zeal to defend Judaism from foreign elements, but is
clearly very controversial - not only in our "enlightened" eyes, but also
through the critical eyes of our rabbis, many of whom condemn his deed, and
declare that Hashem gave him a Covenant of Peace (Brit Shalom) not as a
reward but to compensate for the over- zealous and lack of peace element in
his nature.

Perhaps a comparative study of different types of heroes will help the
student step into the shoes of different types of Jews, and bring home
different but equally important values and an appreciation of how different
types of Jews think.

One other point on the topic of heroes particularly in today's “me –
oriented” generation, is to show the fallibility in the heroes’ lives
(above examples perhaps included) to help underscore the point that heroism
is not only about super-people doing super deeds, but about regular people
who found it in themselves to do super deeds.

I look forward to your responses to the above.

4. Research into teachers’ motivation for enhancing their skills and
qualifications. Help required.
Raya Gekhtman

I'm a second year's participant in the Jerusalem Fellows program. I'm from
the Ukraine, from Kiev.

I am working on a project that deals with the creation of a Teacher
Training Methodology Center for Ukrainian Jewish Educators in Kiev.

I am considering investigating various aspects of Jewish Education in the
Ukraine. In particular, the research will determine the degree of the
professional educators' readiness in all fields of Jewish Education for
participation in the process of qualitative changes in this area and their
motivation for an improvement in their own professional qualifications.

My problem is that I am not a professional sociologist or anthropologist
and my personal experience of participation in this type of research is
limited.

Perhaps one of you has conducted a similar kind of research or you have
participated in similar activities as a research assistant?

I would be grateful for any advice or suggestions that you could give me.

The Rabbi Joseph H. Lookstein Center for Jewish Education in the Diaspora

You can search the archives at
http://listserv.biu.ac.il/archives/mifgashim.html

The website is supported, in part, by a generous grant from the
AviChai Foundation.