MIFGASHIM

Solly Kaplinski <[log in to unmask]>

MIFGASHIM LIST <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:49:55 +0300

MIFGASHIM

July 13 2003
Volume 2:44
Moderator: Solly Kaplinski
The Lookstein Center for Jewish Education
Bar Ilan University

1. Resource of the Week
Esther Feldman: Director, Information and Technology Services
The Lookstein Center

2. Focus on Current Events and Parashat Hashavuah
Chana German, Co-ordinator, Virtual Resource Center
The Lookstein Center

3. The impact of security in schools
(See MIFGASHIM July 6 2003)
3.1 Brian, Toronto Canada
3.2 Hillary Kahn, London
3.3 Leon Epstein, Miami

4. Advice and dissent or how we all became critics of Israel
A response to Andrew Silow-Carroll
(See MIFGASHIM July 6 2003)
4.1 Yonatan Rabinowitz, Jerusalem
4.2 Helen Leberman, New York.

CONTENTS

1. Resource of the Week
Esther Feldman: Director, Information and Technology Services
The Lookstein Center

This week's resource of the week: The Atomic Learning Library

The Internet offers an abundance of free tutorials to help users learn and
common educational software. Most tutorials are short and user-friendly.
The Atomic Learning Library breaks down the software in to fast-loading
tutorial movies that show you how to use the software. Just click the
application you'd like to learn more aboutand view the offerings.

To see this week's resource, go to

http://www.lookstein.org/resource_week.htm and click on July 2003

or go directly to

http://www.lookstein.org/resource_week/july2003.htm

2. Focus on Current Events and Parashat Hashavuah
Chana German, Co-ordinator, Virtual Resource Center
The Lookstein Center

Each week the Lookstein Center offers educators discussion points to focus
in in the classroom for both the weekly Torah portion and current events in
Israel. These resources can be accessed at

http://www.lookstein.org/edu_focus_on.htm

This week: Focus on Current Events explores the ethical question of
releasing terrorists from Israeli prisons in exchange for a ceasefire.

Focus on Parashat HaShavuah (Pinhas) questions the laws of inheritance laid
out in the Bible. According to the Parasha, property is passed from father
to son, and daughters only receive inheritance in the absense of a male
heir.

"And you shall speak to the children of Israel saying, 'If a man die, and
have no son, then you shall cause his inheritance to pass to his
daughter.'"
Bemidbar 27: 8

3. The impact of security in schools
(See MIFGASHIM July 6 2003)

3.1 Brian, Toronto Canada

Barbara raised some contentious points. The nature of security measures
which schools have considered and adopted are in part, a function of the
ages of the students (K- grade 6, middle school, high school, etc), and
location of the school (urban, suburban, campus etc). While some parents
might enjoy observing/playing with their children at recess, if this is an
ad hoc activity, I am not sure it is in the best interests of all the
children for some parents to be doing this.

Interestingly, I have found that most parents feel that the schools have
not been doing enough in the area of security. Unfortunately we live in
times that demand an approach to security, that is very different from the
approaches of years ago.

-----------------------------

3.2 Hillary Kahn, London

With all due respect to Barbara, she is clearly out of touch with the
threats levelled at Jews.  Jewish Schools in particular are unfortunately a
promising target. I believe we should be obsessive about security in these
times. Better to err on the side of caution than be negligent for the sake
of the culture of the school! Barbara, where is your perspective?

-----------------------------

3.3 Leon Epstein, Miami

I am a teacher at a school where we have an obsession with security. One of
the more positive aspects of this new policy is that it has thankfully kept
parents out of the school. While I admire people like Barbara who take a
strong interest in their children’s education, frankly, there are times
when parents who have carte blanche tend to overdo their interest and cramp
the style of the teachers and the school. So at our school, security has
helped …. to keep the parents out!!

4. Advice and dissent or how we all became critics of Israel
A response to Andrew Silow-Carroll
(See MIFGASHIM July 6 2003)
4.1 Yonatan Rabinowitz, Jerusalem

I believe that journalists or for that matter teachers who are living out
of Israel, have absolutely no right to be critical of Israel. Now more than
ever, we need to stand together for the sake of Israel.

In an age of unbridled media attacks on Israel and the legitimacy of the
Jewish people, we cannot afford 5th columnists in our ranks.

Those living outside of Israel who publicly take a position against Israel
not only aid and abet our enemies, but also compromise their own integrity
since they don’t have to live with the consequences of their action.

We who are living on the front lines do. Those living abroad who have
problems with Israel should make it their business to come and live here
serve in the army, pay their taxes and participate in the democratic
process.

It’s all very well to be critical of Israel from a distance, from the
comforts of your own home but frankly, for the average Israeli, such
criticism is meaningless.

-----------------------------

4.2 Helen Leberman, New York.

I believe that the State of Israel and the people of Israel are strong and
sturdy enough to listen to arguments on all sides of the continuum - even
from those who live abroad.

In the 60’s, there was no possibility of hanging our dirty washing in
public. In fact, it was unheard of especially during the times leading up
to the 6 Days War when the very existence of the State of Israel was at
risk.

Today, it’s a different story all together. Debate, arguments,
disagreements - these are all vital ingredients for testing our own
convictions and as Jews who care very much about what happens in Israel –
even if we don’t live there, we have a right, nay a duty to express our
points of view especially if we feel that what is happening threatens the
very nature of what Judaism is all about.

Our students in particular need to hear all sides of the debate if they are
to gain any respect for what Israel is or should be. We cannot hide the
truth from them and if we adopt a “my country right or wrong attitude”, we
risk alienating them from Israel and from the Jewish people. They are
simply too smart to have the wool pulled over their eyes.

The Rabbi Joseph H. Lookstein Center for Jewish Education in the Diaspora

You can search the archives at
http://listserv.biu.ac.il/archives/mifgashim.html

The website is supported, in part, by a generous grant from the
AviChai Foundation.