MIFGASHIM April 2009

Mifgashim Volume 8 Issue 60

Lee Buckman <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 6 Apr 2009 17:24:26 +0300

Mifgashim Volume 8 Issue 60

Contents:

1. Resource for Pesach Seder Preparations

2. Professional Development Opportunities
a. Siegal College Summer Institute for Teachers
b. Jim Joseph Foundation Fellowships

4. Marshall Memo: Personal Ethics, not just Social Activism

~~~~~~~~~

1. Resource for Pesach Seder Preparations

Rabbi Menachem Leibtag has excellent material that can be used to prepare for one’s
Pesach seder. See http://tanach.org/.

We will not be publishing Mifgashim the rest of this week.

Chag Kasher V’sameach,
Lee Buckman

~~~~~~~~~

2. Professional Development Opportunities

Announcing the Siegal College Summer Institute Moreh L'Morim : An Educator's Guide to
Perplexing Times will be held at Siegal College in Cleveland from August 9-12.

The four day conference features such outstanding, national educators as Vicky Kelman
and the staff of the Teva Center for Judaism and Ecology as well as the full resources of
Siegal College and the Cleveland Jewish community. Participants can choose 4-day
intensive tracks of study including evaluating our own teaching, educational outreach to
young families, and effective teaching of contemporary moral dilemmas.

Additional learning opportunities include a broad range of Jewish studies content and
Jewish education sessions. Participants can also elect to participate in a single day of
Jewish learning and professional development. Evening cultural and recreational
activities will be available as well as ongoing opportunities for networking with other
Jewish educators from communities across the country.

For more information contact: Professor Jeffrey Schein [log in to unmask]
216-464-4050 x123.

~~~~~~~~~

Jim Joseph Foundation Fellowships: Leading Educators Online sponsored by the Lookstein
Center for Jewish Education.

This is a two-year professional development experience that will provide participants with
leadership development, enriched Jewish learning, and in-depth training in how to build
online communities of practice.

Fourteen select participants will be accepted for the first cohort and will participate in the
fellowship from October 2009 through April 2011 while they continue in their current
positions.

Participating Fellows will receive an annual stipend of $10,000 for each of the two years
of the program, in addition to travel, room and board at the seminars and retreats.

For more information or to nominate a candidate, go to www.lookstein.org/jjff.htm.

Direct applications are not accepted. Fellows must be nominated. Applications are due
May 15, 2009. Applications will receive notification by June 30, 2009.

If you have questions, email [log in to unmask] or call 1-914-233-3944.

~~~~~~~~~

Oh, the dreaded midwinter blues. If only they would go away!! I very much enjoyed your
ideas/suggestions, and being a teacher, I had to sort and prioritize them.

Since psychologists tell us that a sense of security is needed along with the basics of
survival, I felt that # 8, reassuring the teachers about their status for the following year,
is of major importance. That midyear boast of recognition of work accomplished and
security for next year would go a long way.

I always personally look at the calendar the second it comes out and highlight vacation
days. (I am a teacher after all.)

I think it is VERY important to try to plan at least one vacation day per month from
January to Pesach. There are days such as Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Presidents Day,
half day for Purim, etc. Those days REALLY give teachers something special to look
forward to. A Friday through Monday Presidents Day week-end is GREAT.

Acknowledging teacher achievements whenever and often is very important. Coming from
the Head of School would be a TREMENDOUS boost for all teachers. Nothing could match
that kind of praise and notice.

Last I’ll comment on the “fun” ideas. Canceling a staff meeting, flowers for Shabbat, a
day without a duty, etc. are the “perks” that go with our profession and are appropriate
and needed. We all know the stress teachers are under daily. The “little” things mean so
much.

Carol Liberman
The Beren Academy
Houston, TX

~~~~~~~~~

4. Marshall Memo: Personal Ethics, not just Social Activism

The Sunday, April 5, 2009 edition of the NY Times featured an article entitled “Schools’
gossip girls and boys get some lessons in empathy.” The author describes efforts to
reduce social aggression in schools through empathy training.

Schools incorporate empathy “training” in many ways. For example, English classes
discuss the role of empathy in literature. Co-curricular clubs focus on reaching out to
peers with special needs. Schools hold a “Mix it up Day” in order to break up cafeteria
cliques.

Even the Parent Teacher Association has gotten involved. In one Scarsdale school,
parents are trying to curtail the tradition of 7th and 8th graders coming to school Monday
morning wearing the personalized sweatshirts handed out at weekend bar and bat
mitzvahs in an effort to reduce social exclusion.

“As a school, we’ve done a lot of work with human rights,” said Michael McDermott, the
middle school principal in Scarsdale. “But you can’t have kids saving Darfu and isolating
a peer in the lunchroom. It all has to go together.”

Several curricula are being used throughout the United States. In Los Angeles, middle
schools are using “Second Step: Student Success Through Prevention” which teaches
empathy, impulse control, anger management and problem solving. In Seattle,
elementary schools are using “Roots of Empathy.” Many New York schools are using
David Levine’s book “Teaching Empathy”

For the full-length article see
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/05/education/05empathy.html

The Lookstein Center for Jewish Education in the Diaspora,

The Center encourages you to become a paid member and
benefit for the wide variety of programming offered by the Center.
For information see http://www.lookstein.org/joinus/.

To reply, comment or post a message, please write us at: [log in to unmask]

You can search the archives at http://listserv.biu.ac.il/archives/mifgashim.html.

The e-community is supported by generous grants from Evelyn and Shmuel Katz, Bal Harbour, Fl.