MIFGASHIM  November 2009

MIFGASHIM November 2009

Mifgashim Volume 8 Issue 104

Lee Buckman <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 26 Nov 2009 05:53:43 +0200

Mifgashim Volume 8 Issue 104

Contents:

1.	Lookstein Podcast:  Understanding By Design

2.	Chanukah links

3.	Lesson Plan for Kaf Tet B’November

4.	Marshall Memo: A California Teacher Surveys Her Students

~~~~~~~~~

1.	Lookstein Podcast:  Understanding By Design

This Classroom Teaching episode explores the Understanding By Design approach to
planning lessons and its relevance to the specific needs of the Judaic studies teacher,
based on years of experimentation with the UbD system.

Note: Teachers interested in ideas for Chanukah may want to review podcasts #10 and
11 in the archives. Listen or subscribe to these episodes at
http://www.lookstein.org/podcasts

~~~~~~~~~

2.	Chanukah links

You might know about the new social phenomenon called Flash Mob.  One was produced
by Nefesh B’Nefesh for Chanukah.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULtglogZbR8

Here are some links from Israel for Chanukah:
http://www.mkm-haifa.co.il/schools/ofarim/hagim/hanuka/hanuka.htm
http://kaye7.school.org.il/chanuka3.htm
http://kaye7.school.org.il/chanuka_activities.htm
http://wind.prohosting.com/yakovn/main_h.htm
http://www.mkm-haifa.co.il/schools/gavrieli/chanuca/My%20Webs/myweb/index.htm
http://207.232.9.131/moe/hagut/hanuka/index.html
http://www.orianit.edu-negev.gov.il/ronit/sites/homepage/chetzronit/hannuka.htm
http://www.amit.org.il/hagim/hanoca/

Lookstein has updated materials at
http://www.lookstein.org/resources/chanukah.htm so please push it again.

~~~~~~~~~

3.	Lesson Plan for Kaf Tet B’November

On November 29th, 1947, in Lake Success, New York Nassau County, Long Island, the
very young United Nations voted to adopt a partition plan that created the State of Israel.
Those looking for materials about Kaf Tet B’November may want to refer to
http://www.lookstein.org/webquests/nov29.htm.

~~~~~~~~~

4.	Marshall Memo: A California Teacher Surveys Her Students

This article in Principal Leadership picks up on a blog by Oakland teacher Elena Aguilar in
which she tells about an anonymous survey she does of her students every year.

Using a Likert 1-2-3-4-5 disagree/agree scale, she asks questions like:
-	I was clear about the goals for the class.
-	I felt like the content of this class connected to my life and was meaningful to me.
-	I felt like you respected me.
-	I felt like you gave me timely and useful feedback on my work.
-	I felt like you were fair.
-	I felt like you had high expectations for me.

Aguilar also asks open-ended questions, including:
-	Tell me about a time in my class when you feel respected.
-	Tell me about a time in my class when you felt frustrated.
-	What advice can you give me about how to be a better teacher?

“Planning for the End of the Year” by Elena Aguilar in Principal Leadership, October 2009
(Vol. 10, #2, p. 7), http://www.edutopia.org/fostering-student-feedback.

The Marshall Memo is a weekly digest of important research in K-12 education.

The Lookstein Center for Jewish Education in the Diaspora,

The Center encourages you to become a paid member and
benefit for the wide variety of programming offered by the Center.
For information see http://www.lookstein.org/joinus/.

To reply, comment or post a message, please write us at: [log in to unmask]
To unsubscribe, please send an email to [log in to unmask] with "unsubscribe MIFGASHIM" in the
body of the text.

You can search the archives at http://listserv.biu.ac.il/archives/mifgashim.html.

The e-community is supported by generous grants from Evelyn and Shmuel Katz, Bal Harbour, Fl.