The Lookjed list is a project of the Lookstein Center for Jewish Education. [log in to unmask]"> http://www

Topics in this year's Purim issue:

I. Queries:
     Frumkite query (Poppins)
     Fast of Easter (Horwitz)
II. Satisfying God by keeping the commandments (Newton)
III. Educational Epidemics

     a. Illiteracy Epidemic (Berger)
     b. Illicitry Epidemic (ben Salu)
     c. Alliteracy Epidemic (Mendelssohn)
IV. CHAPTER School (Shnickers)
V. Girls of Prey (Xena)
VI. What we NOW know about Jewish Education (Shoe, White)

We aren't the only ones taking advantage of Purim to introspect about
issues that our community grapples with throughout the year.
The Jewish Week's Purim articles are always interesting, although this
year few of them focus on issues of Jewish education -
http://www.thejewishweek.com/Purim/c368/Special_Sections/Purim_Spoof.html

Of course, not all of the material in the Purim Lookjed is presented
in jest - some of it is totally on the "up-and-up."
The trick here is to figure out what is simple fun and what is
sophisticated fun?

Mazal Tov to David and Devorah Katz on the birth of a new baby boy.
David and Devorah both teach in the Lookstein Center's "Remote
Teachers" program, but the baby was delivered in person in Jerusalem's
Hadassah Ein Karem hospital.

David and Devorah had scheduled the birth to coincide with the
upcoming Birkat ha-Hamah celebrations, but he arrived a bit early.
Suggestions for naming the newborn child are welcome. Current
front-runners include -

Barack (a very popular choice these days)
Barkai (more popular on Yom ke-Purim)
Zerach (one of my son's middle names)

As the brit will be taking place on Purim, there isn't much time, so
please hurry.

To send the Katz family Mazal Tov wishes, make suggestions for a name
or to request their curriculum on Birkat ha-Hamah - useful every 28
years - write to them at [log in to unmask]

And don't forget to order those T-shirts for your school!!
http://www.birkathachamatshirt.com/

Other available Birkat ha-Hamah paraphernalia include -

A commemorative calendar -
http://www.judaism.com/display.asp?nt=aRAPAR&etn=DAHGJ

A new book -
The Sun's Special Blessing by Sandy Wasserman
http://www.amazon.com/Suns-Special-Blessing-Happens-Years/dp/1934440922

An art contest -
http://blessthesun.org/tiki-index.php?page=Birkat+HaHammah-Art-Competition

...but don't forget the T-shirts -
http://www.birkathachamatshirt.com/

Enjoy!
Shalom

NB Although I take no responsibility for anything that appears in the
rest of this issue, I would like to thank the Lookjedders who helped
make this happen, and, in particular, Yitzie Blau, Shlomo Horwitz and
especially Avi Billet. SZB

I. Queries: